The disposition for most minor criminal cases is a “continuation without a finding” usually referred to as a CWOF.

Defendants who receive a CWOF must admit that there are sufficient facts to find them guilty of the alleged crimes.

However, so long as they do not violate their probation conditions, no finding of guilt will be imposed.

Instead,  upon satisfying the probation terms, the case will be dismissed.

So when and how can a CWOF turn into a “guilty”?

Any violation of your probation could trigger a probation violation hearing. At this hearing your probation officer can ask the judge to revoke your CWOF and convert the disposition of your case to a guilty.

Additionally, the judge himself, without the probation officer’s input, can change a CWOF to a guilty after a probation violation hearing.